Lundy’s Lane Ontario Power Generation Parkette
The Lundy’s Lane BIA is very excited to see our vision of creating our first public park, and green space on Lundy’s Lane, Niagara Falls start to take shape.
Working closely with the City of Niagara Falls, Ontario Power Generation and our world-class design team from Stantec, the Lundy’s Lane OPG Parkette will be a first class, environmentally conscious park.
The overall goal is to create a unique public recreation space that displays the City’s history of power generation and celebrates the areas’ natural heritage features, while providing an environmental net benefit. The park will create a space for local events, festivals, gatherings, and outdoor learning.
The park will have two distinct zones:
– including Events Pavilion / Picnic Shelter and Plaza, Power generation artifacts, Power Generation Interpretive Wall and In-Ground Water Feature.
– this space will a hybrid-surface space that allows the LLBIA to host year-round events such as local seasonal craft markets, music in the plaza, and WFOL themed events in the winter.
– no trees will be removed in this area and additional trees and greenery will be brought in to enhance the area and create a new canopy for shade and noise attenuation from Lundy’s Lane
Nature, Mindfulness and Arts Presentation Zone
– including intimate Raised Performance Stage / Education Space, Natural Heritage Interpretive Walk and Natural Habitat Features / Enhancements.
– this space will occupy the back 2/3rds of the park and will engage visitors into nature with bird houses made by local school children, natural surfaces and a stage for more mindful events like yoga, talks, acoustic music, etc.
– this area will benefit significantly with invasive trees being removed and replaced with many native species that will significantly enhance the regeneration of this area.
With a direct connection to the Millennium and Hendershot Trails, complete with new trailheads, the Lundy’s Lane OPG Parkette will create a new sense of neighbourhood for ‘The Lane’ and will have links to all parts of the city and Niagara Parkway trails. With the rehabilitation of the OPG Hydro Canal Bridge this spring, complete with a new permanent centre median planter(s), built-in irrigation and electrical power, this area will be the new crown jewel of Lundy’s Lane. This area will be the eastern portion of the ‘garden and illumination’ zone from the Parkette to Montrose Road.
…And, this is just the 2nd of the four phases of the Lundy’s Lane Streetscape Masterplan. In early January, in conjunction with the City of Niagara Falls and The Region of Niagara, an Environmental Assessment (EA) will commence for the area of Highland St/No-Frills Plaza all the way to Montrose. This will allow the Lundy’s Lane BIA to be a part of reimagining ‘The Lane’ to be more pedestrian friendly, safer, greener, enhanced public art. The EA will also set the template for the rest of Lundy’s Lane. Complete with our new branding of Lundy’s Lane, which will be rolled out this spring, the future of Lundy’s Lane is bright. The Lane will be a great place to live, work and do business.
For a more comprehensive look at what the park has to offer, please visit:
If you have any questions for the Lundy’s Lane BIA, please reach out at email@example.com